Thursday, March 09, 2023

That's a Mouthful

If you go waaaaay back to November of 2022, you'll see a post, "Dentist!" It was quite the experience, and I decided I'd had enough of these oral adventures. It was time to see the dentist regularly. I could at least bite things with my front teeth and chew on the right side of my mouth; I should try to keep the teeth that remained. Thus, after that agonizing visit, I scheduled a cleaning.

But in case you haven't been paying attention to my stories, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." That John Lennon quote fit my "cleaning" visit to a tee. Y'see, there's been quite the build-up of calculus around my front teeth. Yes, calculus. "It's not just math!" Calculus is hardened deposits of plaque.

Okay, let's back up. When my left foot was amputated, I went six months without taking even minimal care of my teeth. I was so overwhelmed by my struggle with all of the other forms of bodily maintenance that my teeth were ignored. That's when the plaque started building up. Once it had a foothold... (A foothold in my mouth? Weird.) Once it had a foothold, the plaque continued to build-up, even when I started brushing regularly again.

Following so far? Good. Because now we have to add other complications to the scenario.

  1. Receding gums runs in my family. My brother was wearing partials in his early 40's, and both of my parents had full dentures by age 50.
  2. The medications I take can dry out one's mouth. I'm constantly drinking something throughout the day. Even when I wake in the middle of the night, the first thing I do is reach for the drink I have at my bedside. Dry Mouth: It's a lifestyle all its own.
  3. Diabetes. Diabetes, diabetes, diabetes. It was mentioned at least FOUR times during this "cleaning" visit. Without ever specifying what it was about diabetes that added to my problems, it was made clear that 48.5 years of this gold-star chronic illness had contributed to the poor condition of my mouth.

I didn't need a professional to see the rather extreme situation in my front teeth. My gums had been pushed way down, with a lot of calculus at the base of the teeth. Even with that hardened substance's presence, my teeth could be wiggled with just a gentle nudge. Which led me to ask, "If you clean away the calculus, will my teeth just fall out?"

Y'know, it's a little sad when the dental assistant working with you gets excited that YOU reached a conclusion before they could mention it. The dentist was proud, too. And the answer was, "Yes." I asked if they could at least clear away the calculus that would lead to painful gingivitis, and they said my teeth would likely fall out if they did that little bit.

So what? It's a tooth. If it looks like the plan is going to be a complete removal of all teeth, what's the big deal if some fall out?

Oh, nothing special. Just an increased risk of infection because - you guessed it - diabetes.

By the way, that was the plan we discussed. My gums had seriously receded, even where there was no calculus. All but two of my teeth moved when nudged. Things can get caught in teeth that are as loose as mine. Those things can lead to infection, and often do. I have to lose the teeth. All of them.

This news coming on the heels of the EMG results has knocked me flat mentally. Well, not just this, because Dunder Klutz here stumbled after a shower, and my foot smashed into the rather sharp corner of a shelving unit in my apartment. To be specific, it was the inside of my foot, where a particularly large callus resides. Well, resided - past tense. I didn't think much of that collision... until I spotted the blood stains in my carpet. Seems that after my shower had softened that callus, the impact sheered it off, leaving me with a bloody mess of a wound.

So... Very little muscle left in my hands... Serious wound on my foot that I didn't feel, thanks to diabetic neuropathy... I have to lose all of my teeth... Yeah, I'm feeling the weight of existence more than usual. What's more, I'm going to need dentures and I can't afford them. So what if I'm a diabetic that needs to eat? I could live on mashed potatoes and peanut butter, right? I'm going to have to beg and plead with friends to help me get prosthetic choppers, since Medicare doesn't offer dental insurance. 

~as sarcastically as possible~ Life is just grand.

Let's change the subject entirely. Remember when I advertised the scantily clad young woman? Well, this isn't her:

Say hi to Keet!

This gorgeous young woman is Rachel, or Keet, as she often says very quickly at the start of her videos. I think she's only 17 at the moment, but I could be wrong. She has a rather serious case of Tourette's Syndrome. Her tics can be quite entertaining because her voice pitches up when she experiences echolalia. She sounds adorable! But she's suffering. She has no control over the sudden movements or outbursts. She posted a video that was only a small portion of a four-hour tic attack. If you want to follow her, then I'll link to her TikTok. But behave. She's underage. She's been bullied. She's been accused of faking. She'll continue to experience these things from a variety of jerks for the rest of her life. Don't be a part of that. Listen to what she has to say and bask in her beauty. Don't be mean or creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are no longer moderated. Hate speech, politics, and religion are not welcome in the comment section UNLESS they are directly related to the post's subject, such as the price of insulin. Please be civil. Be advised that I am often EXTREMELY honest with my answers, so be absolutely sure you want an answer before asking any questions.